Wednesday 30 November 2011

Now you're a storyteller...

I chose the band Twin Atlantic for this brief as they had a sound that I enjoyed above the other bands on the list and would take pleasure in researching them further. Having written a good few songs myself I began by looking into their lyrics and after listening/reading only a couple of their songs I was aware that repetition was a dominant feature in their writing.

After a few attempts I decided the clearest way of showing the repetition was by looking at each song individually and counting each line that included repetition of some sort and then comparing that number to the total number of lines in that song. I worked out that the average number of lines that use repetition per song to be 18. I wanted to show this visually and the result of that is the word ‘repetition’ being repeated 18 times in the background to emphasise just how much extreme that amount of repetition is. I made a decision to show this data I collected from the songs through a series of bars as it would be the clearest way to show all the information together.

The majority of Twin Atlantic’s album and single covers followed the same formula, with a simple hierarchy with only the essential objects on the page (all usually centrally justified), a very limited colour palette and a very clean typeface (often used in all caps). All these features suggest a modern look and feeling to me and I tried to communicate this in my own design.

The typeface chosen was Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed for the title as I felt this reflected the bands style the most. It’s bold and ‘stretched’ characteristics suggest the loudness of Twin Atlantic’s music. I used a variation of that typeface, Franklin Gothic Book, for the smaller text as it read better at a smaller point size. The band has two very different logos on their album covers so I attempted to put the best of both together and came up with my own logo, which I feel still conveys the feeling expressed in their current logos.

I have kept the hierarchy very straight forward just like in Twin Atlantic’s album covers, with only the essential objects in a well structured order which can compare to the song structure of Twin Atlantic, most of which follow the traditional verse/chorus layout.

The colours used help suggest the clean, modern feeling I identified the first time I heard their music. There are very little backing vocals with easily identifiable layers of guitar which gives their songs a sense of simplicity while still managing to create a feeling of depth which I have tried to communicate in my design.


6 comments:

  1. I really like the idea about counting lines that use repetition, I would have never thought of that! I think you may have too many lines? Maybe you could make this look less busy and really play around with colours and shape buy just cutting off the less interesting lines and really emphasize the funny ones like "yes, i was drunk". Also when it comes to typography, I would maybe play around with the sizing and the width of the fonts. I don't really know what twin atlantic music sounds like, but like you described their music "loud", maybe you could emphasize it more by exaggerating and really go crazy with it. I don't know. Maybe I just sound like a looney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have managed the whole simplicity and depth thing really well, it appears simplistic, yet you've got a lot of information on there as well without it looking busy or overwhelming. I agree with Mirjami, i think the counting lines of repetition is a nice idea as it seems they really do love their repetition. It also seems to represent the bands image, iv seen some of their artwork and i think your spot on with the typography. Only thing is maybe it could be a little bigger on screen as i can't really see the small type, could just be my eyesight however

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you click on the image then right click and view image you can see it full size :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The data you've focused on is really interesting. The way you've included how many lines are in the song altogether is really clever as well. Its easy to quickly compare how much of the song the repeated lines make up. That works really well. The use of repetition in the background works well too, it really emphasises the importance repetition plays in their music. Your colour choice is well thought of too. Since Twin Atlantic base their name on the ocean the blue background is meaningful in that sense and looks good with the white and black bar chart type visuals.
    Overall, its really clear what you're communicating and the visuals work well. Personally I'd maybe put the key nearer the top? It might make easier reading to know straight away what everything stands for. Other than that, great job Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your use of layout (:
    It looks neat and I can understand the information clearly.
    I think you have used colour really well by only using blue in the background and keeping your text black and white. This adds to the overall clarity of your design.
    You have used type well to achieve information hierarchy and it is really obvious to me that your theme is repetition.
    My only suggestion is you could try enhancing the most repeated lyrics eg- re sizing them, to show they are most important in terms of repetition. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of counting the lines that use repetition is very interesting : )
    The overal feel of the design is very, very clear. Especially through the horizontal line dividing the bars from titles, and it all being exactly in the middle, with the half-split background as well, only emphasizes the clarity, simplicity and readability. It says 'we are clean, clear, calm and we know what we are doing". I dont really know the twin atlantic music, so I cant say if it works, but thats my feeling when I lok at the poster. It definitely looks modern and clean, like you said in your rationale.

    Like mirjami said, you have stated that their music is loud. That poster doesnt really have the influence on me, like a loud music would have. So maybe play around with sizes.

    I think the leading and hierarchy of information is presented very good. It is easy to read.

    ReplyDelete